Monday 13 February 2012

Aside



What's needed now is to find a re-entry point. I've just moved from London to Bristol in a genuine effort to start practicing art for the first time since I graduated last June. There are, for many artists I've spoken to, quite a few things less straining and mentally painful than doing what they love, and for me that's certainly been the case. Time spent away, however much needed, has shown me the difficulty, and therefore value, of being able to make decisions. I see that how an artist's work evolves relates first and foremost to the type of person they are. If your intention in life is to be a practicing artist, and this is something which you know, then surely one of these things must suffer if you do not regularly draw or paint or write or in some way perform a task which has no function other than to exist as art. I've said before how pointlessly boring diaristic blogs about art are to read and I stick to that. What this is supposed to be might not be what it is, but to force yourself to make a decision, and then to follow through with it no matter what, is evidence of a discipline that I wish I had more of.



















No comments:

Post a Comment